1920-- On Sept. 3, 1920, the members of the Clayville Knitting Mill fire brigade petitioned the village board to incorporate and to organize a volunteer fire company to provide fire protection to the Village of Clayville. On Dec 3, 1920 the board unanimously adopted the resolution to " consent to the incorporation of the Quentin McAdam Fire Company."
The new fire company was named after Quentin Mcadam, the owner of the Clayville Knitting Mill. This company would remain in their fire station on Main Street.
1921-- On Aug 7, 1921 With the village having 2 Volunteer fire companies, the village board decided that only 1 fire chief and 1 assistant chief should be elected to represent both fire companies.
1923-- On August 18, 1923, the 2 fire companies combined effects to host the 24th annual Oneida county Fireman's convention. The event was a huge success.
Quentin Mcadam Foreman Joseph White and the Diamond Rio Pumper at the 1923 Convention
1935-- After 15 years of operating as separate organizations, but performing the same duties at the same fires, the 2 companies disincorporated and merged under the governing body of the Village of Clayville on July, 8, 1935 to become known as the Clayville Volunteer Fire Dept.
1936-1939-- In 1936, the Village of Clayville voted to purchased their 1st brand new fire engine, a 1936 Sanford Pumper for $5,000.00 The Sanford remain in active service until the mid 1960's, was restored in 1979 and remains in the department's possession today.
1936 Sanford Pumper--picture taken in 1940 in front of Village Hall.
CLAYVILLE VOL. FIRE DEPT--NEW STATION--1937
1940's-- In the 1940's the 1st annual Field Days were held on the Village grounds in the back of the station. The field days were an annual event until 1981. They were resumed in 1990.
Also in the 1940's the first fire protection contract with the Town of Paris was drafted and signed.
1950's-- In 1951 the dept and village slit the cost to purchased the dept. Scott Air packs, and purchase and install the first quick call system.
also in 1951, the dept created the first fire police unit, with the cost of the equipment paid for by the village.
In 1955 there was a high dryer explosion at the Superfine Papermill, on Oct 31st. The blast killed 4 people including Clayville Fireman, John North. Several others were injured. The Utica Daily Press, described the incident as "the greatest tragedy this area has known.
1960's--The Home fire telephone system was placed into service in the fall of 1965. This system was placed in several fireman's homes and became the main source of fire dispatching, besides the siren and Oneida County Mutual Aid system for many years to follow.
1971--FRONT OF FIRE STATION
1970's- in 1972 Mike Hryb, Fred Stevens, and Stanley Coffin become the dept's first EMT. Soon after, the dept. purchased a used 1967 Pontiac ambulance. An Ambulance district was formed which would later include the Cassville and Paris Hill Fire Districts, and would also travel mutual aid to several other areas, including Utica. The Ambulance service was discontinued in Jan 1992
Spring of 1979, Dept's first portable pond was purchased.
1980's -- In August of 1980, the dept voted to allow 16 and 17 year old members to join the dept as probationary members. Clayville was one of the first Departments in the area to allow this.
1990's-- in 1999, the first ever life memberships were awarded to members with 25 years or more of service.
2000's -- After years of talks and planning the Village Board approved and awarded bids to begin construction of our new firehouse in May of 2001. We had simply outgrown the old main street station. The new station was to be built on the vacant lot, on Main Street across from the post office. Construction began in July of 2001 and was completed in the Spring of 2002.
The Grand Opening was held on August 17, 2002, when a large ceremony was held. We proudly and professionally serve our community and appreciate all the support.